TV PRESENTER Sam Armytage has published an article about natural beauty, immediately sparking backlash from readers.

In a column penned for Stellar Magazin e published today, the 41-year-old Sunrise co-host opened with a metaphor, comparing “less-than-perfect” supermarket fruit to “our societal obsession with appearance and perfection”.

But Armytage also went on to plead with the public not to judge her over her looks.

“And don’t attack me for being beautiful; I have a team of hair and make-up PROFESSIONALS getting up at the crack of sparrows each day to make me look good,” she wrote.

“And if you don’t think I’m beautiful, then you’re entitled to your opinion (but you’d be wrong).”

Armytage admitted she often looked at Victoria’s Secret Angels “with utter disbelief and envy” and that she had attempted to “replace meals with smoothies” and “buy the miracle face creams” in an attempt to achieve perfection.

She also shared an anecdote from her adolescence, revealing that she “cried for a term” after getting braces at 13 because she worried boys “would never look at me again” — and that she “continued to judge books by their covers” throughout her youth.

But Armytage then asked what would happen if “we all truly embraced our inner bumpy lemon skin … And looked the way nature intended us to?”

However, despite the body-positive message behind the column, it was met with a mixed reaction from readers, with one posting: “Few tickets on yourself there Sam” while another accused Armytage of viewing herself “through the prism of extreme vanity rather than the prism of reality”.

Another said the column was “shallow but predictable”, while another said the journalist “sounds self indulgent and an over thinker”.

Armytage, who previously co-hosted Weekend Sunrise and Seven’s 4.30 News before sensationally replacing previous Sunrise co-cost Melissa Doyle in 2013, also copped criticism on social media, with one Twitter user asking, “Can we attack her for being full of herself?” while others reacted to the article with bemusement and confusion.

Of course, Armytage is no stranger to controversy.

In March 2015, the presenter was accused of racism after congratulating a woman for looking whiter than her twin during a Sunrise interview, with a petition demanding an apology attracting thousands of signatures.

Almost a year later in February 2016, Armytage again faced criticism from Sex and the City actor Kristen Davis, after her interview with the star focused almost entirely on the popular show and not Davis’ work with the UNHCR.

Armytage was also due to MC a UN event and interview Davis again soon afterwards, but she was asked to stand down from the event as a result of the botched interview.

And in March this year, Armytage angered many Australians after wrongly claiming white Australians were unable to foster Aboriginal children, and stating: “Post-Stolen Generation, there’s been a huge move to leave Aboriginal children where they are, even if they’re being neglected in their own families.”

The backlash against the segment and Armytage’s comments saw protesters swarm outside the Sunrise studio in Martin Place.