DONALD Trump has attacked the second accuser of his Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh saying that the woman was likely “drunk” and “messed up” when the incident allegedly occurred.

It comes as a former roommate of Mr Kavanaugh said he believed the second woman accusing the Supreme Court nominee of sexual misconduct.

In New York for his speech at the United Nations, Mr Trump sought to cast doubt on sexual misconduct allegations lodged against Mr Kavanaugh by a Yale classmate, Deborah Ramirez, who made her claims in an article published in The New Yorker magazine.

“The second accuser has nothing,” Mr Trump said. “The second accuser doesn’t even know — maybe it could have been him, maybe not. She admits she was drunk. There are time lapses.”

He slammed Ms Ramirez repeatedly for her accusations.

“Now a new charge comes up and she says it may not be him and there are gaps. And she was totally inebriated and all messed up, and she doesn’t know. It might have been him, or it might have been him. Gee, let’s not make him a Supreme Court judge,” Mr Trump said.

He added: “I can tell you that false accusations of all type are made against a lot of people.

“This is a high quality person, and it would be a horrible insult to our country if this doesn’t happen. And it’ll be a horrible, horrible thing for future political people. It cannot be allowed to happen. And the Democrats are playing a con game, C-O-N.”

Mr Kavanaugh is set to testify on Thursday at a public hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused Mr Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when they were teenagers, is also expected to testify.

Ms Ramirez told The New Yorker magazine that Mr Kavanaugh exposed himself to her in college. Mr Kavanaugh denies both claims.

A third woman has also reportedly claimed Mr Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her but she has yet to speak publicly on the allegations.

Mr Kavanaugh’s university roommate James Roche said that he remembered the Supreme Court nominee as a “heavy drinker” who “became aggressive and belligerent when he was very drunk.”

“I did not observe the specific incident in question, but I do remember Brett frequently drinking excessively and becoming incoherently drunk,” Mr Roche told ABC News in the US.

Mr Kavanaugh has slammed the allegations against him. During an interview with Fox News, where he appeared alongside his wife Ashley, he said that during his university days [he] “was focused on trying to be number one in my class and being captain of the varsity basketball team and doing my service projects, going to church”.

Mr Trump continued to back his man.

“He is one of the highest quality people. He said when he was focused on being No. 1 in his class at Yale, to me, that was so believable. I understand college very well, being number one in your class, I understand a lot of things,” Mr Trump said.

He went back to slamming Democrats.

He also lashed out at what has happened to Mr Kavanaugh and his family.

“He has the chance to be one of the greatest justices in the United States Supreme Court. What a shame,” Mr Trump said. “His wife is devastated, his children are devastated. I don’t mean, ‘Oh gee, I am a little unhappy. They are devastated.’ And it is because of these Democrats.”