President Trump reacted to the long-awaited report by the Justice Department’s inspector general by slamming messages exchanged between two FBI agents — declaring it “doesn’t get any lower than that!”

“FBI Agent Peter Strzok, who headed the Clinton & Russia investigations, texted to his lover Lisa Page, in the IG Report, that ‘we’ll stop’ candidate Trump from becoming President,” Mr Trump said in a tweet.

“Doesn’t get any lower than that!” he added.

Strzok made his explosive comment to Page in August 2016.

“[Trump’s] not ever going to become president, right? Right?!” Page texted Strzok.

“No. No he won’t. We’ll stop it,” Strzok responded.

Despite the stunning anti-Trump comments, IG Michael Horowitz said he found no evidence that the couple’s political views affected their work on the probes into Russian election meddling and Hillary Clinton’s improper use of a private e-mail server as secretary of state.

But Mr Trump took issue with that conclusion, declaring that the report showed the FBI was biased against him “at the top level.”

“That was the most biased set of circumstances I’ve ever seen in my life,” he told Fox & Friends on the North Lawn of the White House early Friday. “The end result was wrong. There was total bias.”

Mr Trump added: “It was a pretty good report and then I say that the IG blew it at the very end with that statement.”

Although the president argued that the watchdog report showed the FBI was “plotting” against his election, it largely concluded that Comey’s actions actually hut Clinton’s campaign — not Mr Trump’s.

Special counsel Robert Mueller removed Strzok from the probe into the Trump camp’s possible collusion with Russia after the texts were discovered, while Page has since left the FBI.

On Friday, Mr Trump also lashed out at Mr Comey, who was accused in the report of insubordination for the way he handled the probe into Clinton’s emails.

“The IG Report is a total disaster for Comey, his minions and sadly, the FBI. Comey will now officially go down as the worst leader, by far, in the history of the FBI,” the president said.

“I did a great service to the people in firing him. Good Instincts. Christopher Wray will bring it proudly back!” he added, referring to the current top G-man, who on Thursday said the 500-page report exonerates the bureau from charges of political bias.

The IG’s report says Mr Comey erred when he announced in July 2016 that Clinton had been “extremely careless” with classified material but would not be charged with any crime, and again months later when he told Congress shortly before the election that the probe into Clinton’s emails had been reopened.

Mr Comey concealed from the Justice Department his plans to make a public announcement until the morning he did so, even though such statements are normally handled by the Justice Department, if at all, the report says.