US President Donald Trump. File photo
After months of playing down its significance, US President Donald Trump has tested positive for Covid-19. Here are some of his most notable and colorful statements on the illness.

"We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It's going to be just fine."

Trump in January at the start of the pandemic

"It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle -- it will disappear."

Trump remains publicly upbeat in February

"With the masks, it's going to be really a voluntary thing. … As I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens...I don't see it for myself, I just don't."

Trump on wearing face masks in April

"Then I see the disinfectant which knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside for almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it'd be interesting to check that."

-- Trump floats unscientific cures in April

"It affects virtually nobody. It's an amazing thing. It affects...elderly people with heart problems and other problems - if they have other problems that's what it really affects, that's it."

Trump as US tops 200,000 deaths

"Tonight, @flotUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!"

Trump after testing positive