DONALD Trump has copped widespread criticism after his administration’s policy separated immigrant families crossing the US border, and Time magazine and The New Yorker have wasted no time in lambasting the US President.

Time released a cover image of its July 2 issue, which features Mr Trump looming over a sobbing child, who is the subject of a now-iconic photograph taken by Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer John Moore.

“Welcome to America,” the cover reads.

Moore told the magazine he had to “stop and take deep breaths” after capturing the image of a two-year-old Honduran girl crying for her mother, who was being detained at the border in Texas.

Not to be outdone, The New Yorker released the cover image for its July 2 edition, showing frightened immigrant children clinging to the skirts of the Statue of Liberty.

The Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy has resulted in many people being taken into custody immediately after crossing the border. Children cannot follow their family members or guardians into custody, so US guidelines mandate that those children be separated — often from their parents.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull refused to comment on President Trump’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy.

“I don’t buy into the domestic affairs of other countries,” he told the Nine Network’s Today Show this morning.

“I don’t run a commentary on other people’s internal affairs, for obvious reasons. I’m the Prime Minister of Australia not an international political commentator.”

The PM also called Australia’s system “humane” and “compassionate” said families stayed together.

After global condemnation, Mr Trump on Wednesday signed an executive order reversing the policy after repeatedly saying they couldn’t change it.

Despite the about face, the order had no solution for the 2300 children who are reportedly still being detained or shipped around the country without their parents who crossed the border with them.