THREE young girls, aged 12 and 13, have been arrested over the Munno Para apartment blaze — one man jumped from the building to safety while two others were rescued from the inferno.

Emergency services crews were called to the intersection of Peachey Rd and Curtis Rd about 4.45pm on Saturday amid reports people were trapped inside by the blaze.

Firefighters confirmed the fire began on the second storey of the building before it quickly spread.

On Sunday, SA Police arrested and charged three young girls with arson and acts to endanger life.

Two 12-year-olds and a 13-year-old were bailed to appear in the Elizabeth Youth Court next month.

One of the people trapped inside the blaze was 22-year-old Jayden O’Connor, who was in his room listening to music when he heard the fire alarm sounding in the apartment next door.

Mr O’Connor said he was not able to get to the foyer — the only way in or out of the building — because of the intensity of the fire.

“I went out on the balcony and I could hear people shouting the building was going to collapse,” Mr O’Connor told the Sunday Mail.

“I had two options — I could stay on the balcony and risk it collapsing or I could jump into the awning below and see what happens.”

Mr O’Connor said he jumped into the awning and made it safely down the drain pipe to the ground.

Diners in the restaurant beneath the apartments had to be evacuated.

The fire, which is estimated to have caused $2 million damage, appeared to have started in a third-storey apartment and quickly cut off access to the central stairwell and isolated residents.

Firefighters had to rescue two people whose exit was blocked by the fire.

SA Ambulance Service confirmed three people were treated for smoke inhalation.

One was treated at the scene while two were taken to Lyell McEwin Hospital for further treatment. Witnesses reported seeing three girls running from the scene of a fire.

Joanna Murrell was returning to the building with her young son when she saw the plumes of smoke rising from the building. “There was an explosion and glass went everywhere,” Ms Murrell said.

“There were people on the balconies screaming they couldn’t get out.”

Another witness to the fire said police were interviewing three girls around the corner from the fire.

Country Fire Service Para group officer Robert Styling said the fire was most intense in the common area between apartments.

“The fire affected apartments on both sides of the living area, they are now uninhabitable,” Mr Styling said.

“The apartments next to those were smoke damaged.”