THREE schoolgirls have been arrested over disturbing footage showing kittens being lobbed in the air.

The girls, aged 13 and 14, were held on suspicion of causing unnecessary suffering to animals after the harrowing video was shared online.

It shows the teens in their school uniforms chucking the four-week-old kittens into the air as they almost hit the ceiling.

One manages to land on the bed but the other defenceless animal slams in to the ground as the girls shriek with laughter.

The camera then zooms in on the black cat, which appears to be lifeless on the bedroom floor, as the girls continue to giggle.

A second part of the sickening footage shows the kittens being rubbed together as though being forced to engage in a sexual act.

The vile videos were posted on Facebook last night with the caption: "Girls from Marriotts school, four week old kittens!”

'THIS IS F***ING DISGUSTING'
It has since gone viral with hundreds of shares and comments slamming the girls.

One wrote: "Can't believe what I've just seen. The throwing one. I'm actually gobsmacked. I can't believe anyone could be so cruel at such a young age. You can tell instantly what kind of girls these are!"

Another said: "Literally broke my heart hearing that little thing hit the ground. How could any one laugh like that? Evil."

While one added: "This is f****** disgusting. Why are the parents allowing this?”

Hertfordshire Constabulary confirmed the RSPCA is now looking after the kittens and their mum and said they being assessed by a vet.

Chief Inspector Alicia Shaw for Stevenage said: "Two 14 year old girls and one 13 year old girl from Stevenage have been arrested under Section 41 of the Animal Welfare Act, on suspicion of causing unnecessary suffering to animals.

"The alleged offence, involving kittens was filmed at a private address and appeared on social media on Tuesday March 19. All three are currently in custody in Stevenage Police Station."

She added: "We understand that people are upset and angry about this incident, however we would also like to remind people that posting threatening or offensive comments on social media is also a very serious offence and we would urge you not to respond in this manner, or to commit any other criminal offences.

"This will only detract from our investigation into the welfare of the animals in question."