THOMAS Markle has claimed that he hung up on Prince Harry at the end of a heated phone call.

In yet another interview that will no doubt further damage his already strained relationship with his daughter Meghan, Mr Markle opened up to the Mail on Sunday about the phone call which took place in May.

At the time, he was in hospital recovering from a heart attack and it had just been revealed in the press that he had staged a series of photos for a paparazzo.

Mr Markle had previously lied to Harry and Meghan about staging the photos and the couple were not impressed with him when they called him in hospital.

Mr Markle claimed Harry said, “If you had listened to me this would never have happened”.

Mr Markle responded, “Maybe it would be better for you guys if I was dead … then you could pretend to be sad”.

“Then I hung up,” Mr Markle told the Mail on Sunday.

Mr Markle, who has never met Prince Harry in person, said the royal had previously warned him about the dangers of colluding with the media.

“Harry told me that I should never go to the press,” Mr Markle told the Mail. “That it would end in tears. He said, ‘They will eat you alive.’ He was right.”

The 74-year-old, who made headlines around the world after pulling out of the royal wedding just a few days before the ceremony, now accepts that Harry was “absolutely right” to have a crack at him on the phone.

“I’m not mad at Harry,” Mr Markle said. “I’m not mad at Meghan. I love them. I wish them well. But as for the rest of it, f**k it. I’m done.”