THE Prime Minister has branded Boris Johnson’s suicide vest jibe “completely inappropriate”.

Mrs May said: “Using language like that was not right. It’s not language I would have used.”

It came as ex-BoJo aide Guto Harri said his old boss was self-destructing, and bringing down the country as well with his comments.

Speaking to the BBC’s The Week in Westminster, he said: “Somebody needs to take the spade out of his hand or it looks to me like he’s digging his political grave.”

Mr Harri said he found it a “tragedy” that Boris could have been a good PM but that is now a “very different prospect”.

Lord Heseltine said of Boris’s leadership hopes: “Has he done any irreparable harm? Well I don’t think he has.

“What you have to say to yourself is who the Tory Party membership of the House of Commons is going to choose to send to the activists of the Conservative Party in any leadership campaign.

“Whilst there is strong opposition to Boris, I find it difficult to think of two names that they will send that don’t include him.

“And, if he gets before the activists, my guess is that he will get the nomination.”