THE last words 15-year-old Georgia Mann said to her mother before she was tragically killed by a suspected drink driver were "Goodbye, I love you mum".

Michelle Mann, 47, phoned her teenage daughter to check she was safe just over an hour before a van ploughed into the car she was in and left her critically injured.

Beautiful Georgia, of Sittingbourne, Kent had been out for a meal before getting picked up by a pal to go to a friend's house on Wednesday night last week.

Michelle said: "At about 10pm that night I called her up to check that she was safe before I went to bed. I'm quite an overprotective mum.

"Whenever Georgia goes out I always ring her to find out who she's with, where they're going and how she's getting back.

"Like always she told me she was fine and that she was being picked up. I said: 'okay, love you,'

"The last thing she said to me was 'Goodbye, I love you mum.'"

But the black Audi Georgia and her friends were travelling in broke down on the A249 dual carriageway in Bobbing, forcing them to stop on the side of the road.

But shortly before midnight as they waited for assistance a white Volkswagen Caddy collided with the car at speed.

The crash left the teen in a critical condition and she was rushed to King's College Hospital in London.

Full-time Mum Michelle was fast asleep when she woke up to a knock at the door from police officers who told her about the collision.

She said: "I actually didn't believe that it was Georgia at first. I was in total shock.

"I said to myself 'no they've got this wrong it wouldn't be Georgia', I didn't believe it.

"It was only when I got the hospital and I actually saw her that reality struck."

Georgia was hooked up to a life support machine as doctors tried desperately to save her life.

But tragically she died on Friday morning, surrounded by her mum and other family members.

Devastated Michelle said: "I hadn't left her side over those few days.

"In the final moments we were in the room with her. It such a traumatic time for her dad, me and the kids.

"Until the doctor says the words 'she's passed away' you hold on to hope that she'll come round.

"But she didn't."

Kent Police said a 42-year-old man from Murston, near Sittingbourne, was arrested on suspicion of drink driving but has since been released "pending further enquiries".

Michelle added: "Each day I wake up now it just gets harder. The reality is sinking in that she's not coming back.

"And there's a long way to go with what happens next, whether the driver is going to be charged. Because there was some suggestion that he'd had a drink."

On Friday around 500 people gathered for a candlelit vigil in memory of the "popular" and "enthusiastic" teenager.

The evening vigil at the Gore Field, Grove Park, was organised by close friends Marshal Packer, Lewis Frattini-Bratton and Kieran Gambell.

Georgia's brother Charlie Mann, 21, said: "There were lots of Georgia's friends from school, their families, my family, and just lots of people from the community.

"The sympathy we've had from everyone has been amazing."

Michelle said: "I was overwhelmed with the amount of people, balloons, flowers, candles... It was like she was a celebrity.

"They had organised that within hours and it was all the community. It was comforting for us as a family to be there and feel that support and love for Georgia."

"And to hear stories from everyone how she helped them if they were being bullied or were upset.

"Everywhere I went people were telling me stories of her. She didn't even come and tell me those stories, so it was just nice to see what she was like outside the home.

"It kept me focused during the initial shock."

Georgia had a close relationship with her siblings Charlie, Joe 28, Samantha, 26 and Alfie, 7.

Her sister set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for the funeral.

More than £15,000 has already been raised and Michelle says any excess will be donated to the hospital wing, where doctors and nurses took such good care of Georgia.

"She loved life and lived it to the fullest," he mum added in a touching tribute.