A TEENAGER charged with causing the deaths of a husband and his one-year-old son alongside a married couple in a horror crash shouted "I love you" to family members as he appeared in court today.

Elliott Bower, 18, was allegedly driving a VW Golf when it slammed into a VW people carrier following a high-speed police chase in Sheffield on Friday night.

Bower is also charged with three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, handling stolen goods and possession of cannabis.

His older brother Declan, 23, was charged with aggravated vehicle taking and death caused by an accident with aggravated factors.

He is also charged with handing stolen goods, two counts of driving while disqualified, two counts of driving without insurance, possession of a bladed article and possession of cannabis.

He appeared to have difficulty walking and his left wrist and hand were heavily bandaged in court.

The siblings were arrested following the crash just after 8.50pm on Friday.

The pair were bailed to appear at Sheffield Crown Court on December 10.

Elliott, who was handcuffed to one of the guards, waved at friends and family in the public gallery and shouted "I love you" as he was led away.

A 17-year-old boy arrested at the scene in connection with the crash remains in police custody.

Adnan Ashraf Jarral, 35, and his son Usman Adnan Jarral died when Mr Jarrel's VW people carrier was hit by the VW Golf in a quiet Sheffield suburb.

Before the crash, the VW Golf was being chased by a police car.

Mr Jarral’s Slovakian wife Tahreem, 32, was cut out of the vehicle’s mangled wreckage and is in hospital with a broken leg and back injuries.

A heartbroken relative said she is "grasping a photo" of her young son as she lies in hospital.

Her 22-year-old friend, named locally as Nikola Dunova, was also in the VW Touran along with her parents Miroslav Duna, 50, and Vlasta Dunova, 41, who both died at the scene.

Miss Dunova remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition and her daughter Livia Matova, three, is in a critical condition, South Yorkshire Police said.

The two families were returning home from a day trip to London when their vehicle was hit by the VW Golf, which was travelling on the wrong side of the road while being chased by a police BMW.

Mr Jarral’s uncle Shafqat Mirza questioned the police’s decision to pursue the car through a residential area and said "the tragedy had left a gap which can never be filled."

He said: "Maybe if police had handled things differently then the accident wouldn’t have happened.

"I’m not wholly blaming the police but if there are ways and means of doing the chase in a different way, then the police ought to take that into consideration."

Another of Adnan's uncles, Azrat Mirza, 44, said he had booked a family holiday last week.

He told the Sun Online: "Adnan was excited about going to Saudi Arabia in a few weeks' time for a pilgrimage. He was looking forward to that and he was then going to Pakistan to see his Dad, sisters and brothers.

"With the holiday coming up, it was all a very exciting stage of his life.

"There was never a dull moment with him. All of the hurdles in life...there was always a brighter side to it in his mind.

"We're still waiting for news on the release of the bodies. The tradition is to bury them as soon as possible.

"We're hoping it's sooner rather than later but understand the investigation may take time. Adnan and Usman will be flown to Pakistan and Tahreem has given her consent to that.

"He wanted to take her to see his father, sisters and brothers in Pakistan. She knew that's what he wanted."

Mr Jarral was born in Pakistan and came to Britain as a business student.

After settling in the country, he married Tahreem and secured a steady job working as a packer at Pennine Foods in Sheffield.

He had another son Omar, three, and stepson Abdullah, six.

They were both staying with relatives and were not in the vehicle at the time of the smash.

Mr Mirza told Sun Online that Tahreem was in a "state of shock" in hospital.

He said: "She's aware of what happened. She's grasping the picture of her child who passed away. She's very shaken and she's showing the picture to people who come in the hospital room.

"It's something she holds close to her chest. She's grasping it close to her chest and saying 'my baby he's gone, my baby, my baby'.

"We're offering her help and anything we can do. One of the children is being looked after by a relative of mine and the other is with Tahreem's relatives."

The crash happened less than 50 yards from the home of the Dunova family, who are Slovakian, in the Darnall area of Sheffield.

Mr Jarral was about to drop them off when the Golf crashed into them while overtaking a bus.

Resident Tufail Hussain, 80, who was one of the first people to get to the wreckage, said: "It was just terrible. It's the worst thing I have ever seen."

T/Detective Chief Inspector Jude Ashmore, investigating, said: “This incident and the fact that four people have lost their lives is tragic and understandably highly emotive.

“I would however please urge people to think about the comments they post on social media to enable criminal proceedings to go through the courts unhindered and allow those affected to grieve.”

A mandatory referral was made to the Independent Office for Police Conduct following the collision. South Yorkshire Police continue to assist them with their independent investigation.