A US teen has been charged after police say she set up a friend to be robbed at gunpoint and beaten.

ABC reports that Susan Mize, 17, offered her friend Preston Barry, 20, $US150 to give them a lift from Spring, Texas to Houston on Friday.

When they picked up a mutual 16-year-old friend, another 15-year-old male ended up jumping in the car and “brandishing what Preston believed was a handgun,” according to authorities.

The 16-year-old then pulled out a knife and ordered Barry to be tied by with Susan’s shoelaces.

The two males then beat up Mr Barry, threatened his life with the weapons and took the money from his wallet. They also drove him to an ATM so he could get more money out.

Susan was dropped off home but never called police.

Mr Barry was able to trick the teenagers by telling him he had more money at his house and once they arrived there he ran inside and locked the door.

His family then called police.

“Susan believed Preston was an easy target and the plan was for the males to rob him for the money in his wallet,” the sheriff’s office said. “Susan advised tying Preston up and taking his car was not her idea or part of the plan.”

Susan and the 16-year-old suspect were charged with aggravated robbery.

According to her Instagram page, Mize is an aspiring model and is represented by Explosion Model Management.

But Explosion founder Melissa Garner told Blast they had not yet signed her.

“I had met with her on the 14th before this all happened to see if she would be a good fit. It came as a shock to me when I found out what had happened because she seemed like the sweetest girl. I’m very sad to hear about the carjacking story,” Ms Garner said. “I was very interested in signing her, I thought she could be a great model.”