A BRIT solo yachtswoman has been rescued two days after becoming stranded on her stricken boat when it capsized.

Susie Goodall, 29, tweeted saying she was “on the ship” after being picked up by a rescue vessel following her ordeal.

Susie, from Falmouth, Cornwall, was competing in a 30,000-mile round-the-world race when a “ferocious” storm caused her to lose her mast.

She was in fourth place when “massive seas” and 60-knot (69mph) winds damaged her Rustler 36 yacht DHL Starlight on Wednesday.

The sailor was left drifting 2,000 miles west of Cape Horn in the southern Pacific when her boat capsized.

Her distress signal was picked up by the Falmouth coastguard who alerted Chilean maritime search and rescue authorities.

They contacted a ship 480 miles southwest of Susie’s location and asked for help.

A 38,000-tonne cargo ship arrived alongside her yacht, but its broken engine made the manoeuvre very difficult.

She was the only woman competing in the race, as well as being the youngest competitor.

It takes nine months to complete the solo race and no technology or satellite equipment is used.

“If her engine is working (it was briefly), Susie will motor alongside, put on her lifejacket and climbing harness, and get ready to clip in. There’ll also be a bag or 2 she can tie on.

“Now comes the tricky part… Because both Susie’s boat and the ship are swaying, the crane will be far from steady. She’ll have to time it right and prepare to be yanked off the boat. Fingers crossed!”

She later told officials: “I have been dismasted. Thought I had holed the hull because the boat filled with water, but the hull is not holed. The hull is OK. The boat is destroyed. I can’t make up a jury rig. The only thing left is the hull and deck which remain intact.

“We were pitchpoled [rolled end over end] and I was thrown across the cabin and knocked out for a while.”