STUNTMAN and entertainer Johnny Danger has been killed in a motorcycle crash this afternoon after taking part in an organised Anzac Day ride in Auckland.

It is understood Danger, whose real name is Johnny Bennett, died in the motorbike crash in Lucas Heights, in Albany, about 2.30pm, according to NZ Herald.

The horror came just hours after footage of Bennett preparing for the ride was posted on social media, and only a few months after he excitedly shared news of getting his motorbike licence with followers.

Those who were first on the scene tried desperately to revive their injured mate but he could not be saved.

There were emotional scenes at the site, as family members stood by and hugged as police officers appeared to lift a body from a gully off Dairy Flat Highway.

Friend Carl King confirmed Bennett’s death to the Herald.

Mr King said he was with Bennett and several other motorcyclists as part of an Anzac Day rally, and said after the incident he and several others tried to revive their mate.

Friends of the popular stuntman have begun sharing tributes online.

Kiwi social media personality Sam’s Life took to Facebook to acknowledge the death of his friend: “Rest easy Johnny Danger, lost for words.”

Former NZ prime minister John Key’s son Max Key also acknowledged Bennett’s passing, sharing a number of photos of the pair together, as well as one with the former PM.

“Some absolutely shattering news today,’’ Max Key wrote.

“You taught me how important it is to not take yourself too seriously and to live life to the fullest! Was so epic causing mischief with you and I hope you swig hard up there. RIP my friend.’’

Bennett built an international following after finding fame online as an amateur stuntman and comedian, and more than 200,000 followers on Instagram.

Footage posted by Bennett last night showed photos and video of his motorbike, acknowledging he was preparing for a ride today.

Video posted online today showed him getting ready to take part in an Anzac Day motorbike ride with several others.

In one clip, the group is outside a petrol station in downtown Auckland, getting ready to head off. Bennett can be seen picking up his helmet and fastening it before hopping on to his bike.

Last November, he posted a photo of his new motorcycle licence; clearly excited to get it.

“My new licence photo, finally got my full bike licence! I didn’t know I was getting a new pic so I had no time to think up something, this will do for now. Time to get a Harley now,” he told fans.

Bennett’s stunts had also landed him in trouble in the past.

In 2015, he was found guilty of causing a criminal nuisance after video footage surfaced of him “surfing’’ on a taxi as it went over the Auckland Harbour Bridge in 2013.

The taxi-surfing video — which went viral on social media and featured on international news sites — shows a man climbing out of the vehicle’s passenger-side window and precariously clinging to the Reliable Cabs sign on the roof.