A UNI physiotherapy student says she was left "fearing for her life" after suffering from a severe allergic reaction to Nivea Lip Butter.

The cosmetic product caused her lips to tingle and her throat to become scratchy as anaphylactic shock took hold.

Amy, who has suffered with severe nut allergies from the age of four, received the Nivea Luscious Lips gift tin containing two Lip Butters and two Lip Balms for Christmas from her Mum and Dad.

On 7th January 2019, after having carefully inspected the ingredients on the tin, with the help of her mother, Carolyn, 47, a nurse, Amy applied some of the Blueberry Blush Lip Butter.

Within seconds Amy’s lips began to tingle and her throat became scratchy and Amy recognised these as signs of anaphylactic shock setting in.

Amy, who carries a lifesaving Epipen and steroids wherever she goes tried not to panic as she wiped off the Nivea lip balm and immediately took anti-histamines, her inhaler and throat lozenges to try and counteract the terrifying symptoms.

Amy was on her own at the time, but thankfully by catching the reaction immediately she prevented the didn’t need to use her lifesaving EpiPen on this occasion.

The tingling lips and scratchy throat eased within two hours, but the sore throat lasted for the rest of the day.

It was only when Amy and her mum subsequently checked the back of the individual tin of the Blueberry Blush Lip Butter that they discovered it contained Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond Oil). This had not been written on the main gift tin.

When the mother and daughter contacted Nivea to make them aware of the potentially life-threatening problem, their response was that legally they have complied with European Law by listing the INCI (International Nomenclature for Cosmetic Ingredients) names on the exterior gift box.

Amy said: "It was a terrifying experience but one that I wanted to turn it into something positive.

"I want to alert Nivea to the fact that not clearly stating that nuts are in their products could be extremely dangerous for thousands of people who suffer from nut allergies like myself."

Amy added: "We have standards for food labelling in regards to allergies, but cosmetic appear to be lagging far behind and I think it’s time that more is done about it."

Although on this occasion Amy didn’t require hospital attention, whilst on holiday in Turkey with her family on August 2nd 2018 she ate a tart which she didn’t know had nuts in and was rushed by ambulance to intensive care.

"It was the most terrifying experience of my life. My heart rate went up to 180 and I was vomiting, my ears swelled and I was covered in hives.

"My Mum called an ambulance and I spent 24 hours having adrenaline, antihistamines and steroids administered in intensive care."

The Sun Online has requested comment from Nivea.