A young Somali man who put up billboards of himself in the capital, Mogadishu, advertising that he is an IT graduate in need of a job has found one.

Abukar Mohamed Ahmed told the BBC he got 20 job offers within 48 hours, after photos of the billboard began circulating on social media.

He could not resist accepting the offer from Astaan Media, a local company that distributes cable services to Mogadishu residents.

"I exhausted all formal avenues of looking for a job, like sending CVs to prospective employers. Then the thought came to my mind that I should put up a billboard in the centre of the city, advertising that I am seeking a job," Mr Abukar said.

Some 11,000 students graduated from universities in Mogadishu last year, with 90% of them jobless according to Abdikadir Mohamed of Iftin foundation, an educational lobby group.

Although there are no statistics available on unemployment levels in Somalia, it is widely accepted that the majority of youth are unemployed. Young people make up more than 70% of the population.

Article share tools