It’s traditionally the busy time of year for retailers, but many small businesses in Perth have been forced to close their doors.

Experts say it’s not just an economic downturn, but also increased competition online and that landlords need to reduce their rates, to keep shops open. After years trading on Oxford Street — it’s hard for Lala Designs owner Lala MacNab to see what’s become of her shop which has been empty since August.

“I am a little bit emotional because all my heart and soul was in there and it was a bright colourful building and it’s really sad to see,” Ms McNab said.

She was forced out when her rent jumped 25 per cent, as the post-boom retail slump hit.

“I’m actually not even going to make any money to break even or pay myself a wage,” she said

The slump has continued all year with retail turnover down 0.1 per cent in August and September, flat lining at zero per cent in October.

The vacancy rate in Leederville up to 2 per cent, on Beaufort Street its 12 per cent.

Empty shop space in Subiaco almost tripled to 15 per cent in the last quarter.

Cafes and restaurants hardest hit.

“Uber Eats and the economy all combine to make life harder for the average retailer,” Brett Wilkins, of Ray White Commercial, said.

Only Claremont and Cottesloe bucked the trend, according to Ray White's retail strips report.

But there are positive signs on Subiaco’s Rokeby Road.

“As the football oval is redeveloped, the pavilion is being redeveloped, Princess Margaret (Hospital) is being redeveloped and (there is ) a more pro-business council,” Mr Wilkins said.

Experts say it could take five years for Subiaco to rebound post-football and although economic conditions are slowly improving the digital era has forever changed retail.

Lala Design’s custom invitations are now sold online instead.

Most of the small businesses that are starting are not even going into retail spaces at all sparking calls for landlords and councils to do more to save the local shop.