TWO men have been convicted of kidnapping and murdering an elderly jeweller who was so badly tortured his bicep was ripped from the bone.

Ramniklal Jogiya, 74, was walking home after locking up his shop when he was bundled into the back of van by Charles Mcauley and Thomas Jervis.

The dad-of-three was brutally beaten until he gave them his alarm code and safe combination before being dumped in a country lane near Stoughton, Leicestershire.

Jervis, 24, was sent back to the Vama Collections store in Leicester to obtain 300,000 worth of Asian gold while wearing a burka disguise, but was defeated by a 12-hour time-lock.

Mr Jogiya died as a result of 27 separate injuries and was found lying in the field covered in mud by a couple driving past the scene the following day on January 25, this year.

Last month Jervis and Mcauley, 20, along with two others - Callan Reeve, 19, and Javon Roach, 29 - all of Leicester, went on trial at Birmingham Crown Court.

Today Jervis and Mcauley were found guilty of murder while Reeve was cleared of the charge but found guilty of manslaughter.

Roach was cleared of all charges by the jury who took around seven hours to deliberate their verdicts following a five week trial.

Opening the case, James House QC told Birmingham Crown Court said the "sophisticated" operation must have been planned over weeks if not months.

Mr Jogiya was handled with such force one of his biceps was ripped away from the bone, six of his ribs on the left side were broken, and he had multiple injuries to his hands and fingers.

Jurors also heard how the pensioner suffered 21 distinctive circular injuries to the torso and shoulder area, suggestive of something being used to inflict repeated pain.

Mr Jogiya was abandoned, probably still alive according to the prosecution, in an isolated location with his mobile phone having been thrown away by his kidnappers.

Later in the trial Mcauley, when giving evidence in his own defence, had pointed the finger of blame squarely at Roach, claiming the bigger man had "got angry", "started hitting Mr Jogiya" and then "poking" the victim with a sharp metal tool, called a centre punch.

But jurors were unconvinced by Mcauley's account and instead convicted him of playing a role in the killing, while clearing Roach of any wrong-doing.

The verdicts prompted emotional outbursts from the public gallery and inside the court dock.

Mcauley hurled insults at Mr Roach before he was led away by security staff, also railing against the jury telling them "go f*** yourselves".

Remanding Jervis, Mcauley and Reeve into custody, Mr Justice Martin Spencer adjourned sentencing until September 10.

Afterwards, Mr Jogiya's family, in a statement released through police, said they had been put through an "horrendous" ordeal.

They added: "Dad was taken from us before his time, but for him, we will always remember the happier times and he will forever live on in our memories and in our hearts."

Detective Chief Inspector David Swift-Rollinson, of Leicestershire Police, said: "Rarely have I investigated a crime so wicked and ruthless.

"The depravity, inhumanity and utter contempt they showed for their victim has caused untold anguish for his family and stunned the whole community.

"The only possible comfort left for the family is that the people responsible for this terrible crime will now be locked up for a very long time."