Police in Uganda have warned that any welcoming rally for musician-turned-MP Bobi Wine will be unlawful.

Police said they expect Bobi Wine - whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi - to abide by traffic laws when he returns on Thursday. He has been in the US for medical treatment after allegedly being tortured by the military.

Security agencies had received intelligence of "countrywide mobilisation" to welcome him at the Entebbe International Airport, police said.

Only his immediately family would be allowed to receive the MP at the airport, and he would be "availed security" to go to his home, police added.

The government's media centre has been tweeting details about the police's press conference.

Bobi Wine hit back in a tweet, saying: "Well, for your information, no single family member will receive me at the airport."

He added: "I am a free Ugandan with the right to move freely in my country. The police has no business telling me who receives me and who cannot or where I go and where I cannot. This impunity must stop now. Wama see you friends tomorrow."

The MP - who has been charged with treason - also gave a glimpse of his itinerary.