IRAN paid a Palestinian terror group to carry out the Lockerbie bombing, according to a terrorist's daughter.

Marwan Khreesat allegedly told relatives that his boss Ahmed Jibril oversaw planning of the attack - with Khreesat's daughter Saha saying: "He has a deal with Iran."

The shock confession casts fresh doubt over who was really behind the bombing that killed 270 people 30 years ago today.

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi has been blamed for 17 years for downing Pan Am Flight 103 over the Scottish town of Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway.

The Libyan intelligence officer was jailed in 2001 after being handed over by dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

But there have been grave concerns over his involvement.

Now it has emerged that Khreesat, a Jordanian, left his wife a dossier of evidence that allegedly shows terror chief Jibril was paid millions of pounds by Tehran to launch the attack on the US-bound passenger plane, the Mirror reports.

Khreesat's 43-year-old daughter Saha even says her mother was given the name of the bombmaker.

The potential revelation will add further backing to the theory that Iran carried out a revenge attack after the US shot-down an Iranian passenger plan months earlier - killing 290.

The Sun Online reported in September how a new book sensationally claimed the attack was ordered by Iran's Ayatollah - and that the bomber was living in hiding in Washington DC.

The Palestinian terrorist - code-named Abu Elias - allegedly planted the explosives on Pan Am flight 103 under the orders of the Iranian government, according to Lockerbie: The Truth.

Author Douglas Boyd claimed the man is now working at a school in the US capital under the name Basel Bushnaq.

Jibril was leader of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command.

Saha insists that her father played no part in the Lockerbie atrocity - but said of his comrade Jibril: "I think he is responsible, and he has a deal with the Iran government.

“I do have a proof that Ahmed Jibril is responsible for Lockerbie.

“It might be papers or recordings and it is not in our house now.”

Khreesat was an initial suspect in the Lockerbie investigation.

He had been arrested just two months earlier in Frankfurt with another terrorist who had plastic explosives hidden in his car's cassette player.

That device was reportedly similar to the one used on Flight 103.

He later admitted his role in the 1972 failed bombing of an Israeli El Al flight from Rome to Tel Aviv.

Saha insists that her father knew the name of the bombmaker - but she does not.

Speaking from her home in the Jordanian capital Amman, she said: "If my dad made the bomb he would have taken lots of money but now we don’t have anything because my dad didn’t have anything to do with it.

“Ahmed Jibril took the first million and then he took the rest of the money and got very rich but my dad didn’t take anything.

“The Lockerbie accident has so many hidden things and my dad gave his secret to my mum. He did not give it to me or to my siblings or anyone else. He did not hide anything from mum.”

Khreesat did not want to reveal his information in case of US retribution in Jordan, his daughter claimed.

And Saha added that Jordanian intelligence services were not interested in the truth about Lockerbie.

Al-Megrahi was released from prison in 2009 on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with terminal cancer and died three years later.

Scottish MSP Christine Graham said: “These various discoveries that you have made builds further on the case that it was, as many of us believe, Iran that was responsible for the Lockerbie bombing and that al-Megrahi was the fall guy.

"Libya took the rap for various reasons.”

Khreesat died two years ago at 70, while Jibril, 80, is believed to be in Syria fighting for Bashar al-Assad.

Memorial services are to be held in Scotland and the US to the victims of the Lockerbie bombing.

Wreaths will be laid in the Dumfries and Galloway town as well as at Syracuse University in New York State - where 35 of the victims attended.

Around 500 people are expected to gather at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, USA.