A MYSTERY motorcyclist has been dubbed "Sheffield's Robin Hood" after he threw £20 notes to strangers before riding off.

The man was travelling along a busy road in the city when he made the unusual deposit – right in front of several commuters.

Bystanders have predicted that more than £600 was chucked by the stranger.

While it is believed that the money was being directed towards locals waiting at the bus stop, this remains unconfirmed.

It also remains unknown as to where the money came from and why he threw the notes.

The motorcyclist was described by one witness as “Robin Hood” – the legendary outlaw from who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor.

An unnamed woman told the Sheffield Star: “My friend was catching the bus at the Lowedges terminus when a man rode down from the fire station end.

“Then, as he reached the shops, he started throwing handfuls of £20 notes as he drove past.”

The friend of a witness went on to claim that most of the money was collected by a council worker who was cleaning the road. She believes that the individual ended up with about £200.

Other locals at the scene scattered around the fortunate worker, picking up any unclaimed notes.

Various incidents – including a fatal stabbing – have occurred in this Sheffield suburb this year. But locals have never experienced anything like this before.

The woman added: “Weird things happen on Lowedges but I’ve lived here all my life and never heard of this happening.”