SEX workers in Victoria are under attack as politicians try to enforce strict rules on “the world’s oldest profession”.

Next Saturday, the Liberal Party’s Victorian branch will discuss adopting a European approach to prostitution if it wins government in November’s state election.

A motion to the State Council by the Legend Park branch describes how “sexual services have surged into our suburbs in the guise of massage parlours” and “are now closer to our homes and schools than ever before”.

“Secure suburban havens in which to raise healthy and happy families are under increasing threat,” the motion reads.

To combat what they see as a foundational problem that puts “vulnerable women” at risk, the Liberal Party is pushing for the adoption of the “Nordic model”.

The Nordic model criminalises paying for sex but does not criminalise the sex worker. It would mean buying sex, pimping and keeping a brothel were all against the law. Currently in Victoria, it is only illegal for clients to solicit sex in a public place. The act itself is not illegal.

Victoria’s sex workers say the Nordic model — first introduced by the Swedish government in the 1990s and later adopted by Canada and Northern Ireland — would put them and their clients at risk.

Evan*, a gay sex worker from Melbourne, said it would achieve the opposite of what was intended.

“One of the best ways that self-employed sex workers like me protect themselves is phone ID,” he told news.com.au.

“When someone calls, I can see the number. If it’s a private number, I won’t answer it. The Nordic model gives an incentive for clients not to reveal themselves to me, which removes my ability to screen dangerous clients.”

He said the policy would drive the industry underground, where there was no protection for either party.

Evan’s view is shared by all three of Victoria’s sex worker rights organisations. The Scarlet Alliance, Australia’s peak national body, has voiced its opposition to the Nordic model in the past.

Jarryd Bartle, the policy adviser to the Eros Association, Australia’s industry association for adult goods, services and entertainment, says there’s something very wrong with the proposal.

“The Nordic Model attempts to criminalise consensual sex between adults,” he told news.com.au.

“It does not decrease the prevalence of sex work in particular areas, it just drives business underground putting sex workers and public health at risk.

“Licensed brothel owners in Victoria are as concerned about the growth of massage parlours offering sexual services as social conservatives are.

“The solution is a broad review of the current regulatory approach to brothel operations in Victoria as well as personal services, which commonly overlap, such as massage.”

Mr Bartle thinks New Zealand got it right when it decriminalised sex work altogether. It’s something Evan wants to see happen in Victoria.

“That’s the optimal model, tried and tested, and supported by Amnesty International,” he said.

“I would like to see the Victorian parliament looking at New Zealand as an example.”

The Liberal Party’s council meeting made headlines last week when MPs were forced to speak out against a push by a local branch promoting gay conversion therapy.

The Age reported Liberal MPs were “fuming and embarrassed” by the proposal to give parents and minors “full information about the psychological harms of social, medical and surgical gender transitioning”.

Victorian Liberals president Michael Kroger was forced to step in and pull the motion from the agenda.

*Evan’s name has been changed to protect his identity.