A SCHOOL has suspended pupils after a Snapchat video appeared to show the youngsters snorting drugs in between classes.

The video shows pupils at a school in the North East sniffing a suspicious white powder during their break.

Police have now launched an investigation after the footage was posted online and the students believed to be involved have been excluded.

The clip, recorded on a pupil's smartphone, was filmed and sent on social media with the caption: "Sniffing in school and that."

Footage then shows one pupil - wearing a white shirt - put some of the powder onto a key before snorting it.

The video has been viewed 25,000 times on Facebook and comments suggest the children are in Year 9.

People have also suggested that the substance being passed around at school was mephedrone, commonly known as M-CAT.

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police have been made aware of a video circulating on social media which appears to show two pupils taking an unknown substance.

"Police are currently working with the school concerned and a full investigation is under way to establish the full facts.

"However, we would like to take this opportunity to remind the public about the health dangers of substance misuse.

"We are also committed to taking appropriate action against those who are found to be involved."

A spokesperson for the school said: "We can confirm that there was an incident in school yesterday and that we are working closely with the police.

him?
"We operate a zero tolerance policy with regard to drugs and can also confirm that the pupils in question have been excluded pending the outcome of our enquiries."

One dad, who did not wish to be named, said: "It is absolutely disgusting. I have nieces and nephews at that school and my own daughter is due to attend, this sort of thing is not acceptable."

Another father, who also didn't want to be named, said: "I have children at that school and I don't want them around drugs. This is terrible."