A SCHOOL pupil is being investigated by the Home Office after parents claimed he lied about his age and is in fact a 30-year-old man.

One student at Stoke High School in Ipswich took a picture of the individual wearing uniform in a year 11 lesson, adding the caption: "How's there a 30 year old man in our maths class".

The pupil claims to be 15 years old, however other students told their parents he may be much older than he says he is.

It had been suggested that the individual is an asylum seeker who arrived in the UK without any paperwork, making it difficult to identify his age.

Students and parents claim he lied to British authorities about his age to get an education, as his previous qualifications were not recognised in the UK.

The Home Office has taken on the investigation into the age of the pupil and how he became enrolled at the school.

When asked for a comment a spokesman for the Home Office said: “We do not routinely comment on individual cases.”

Sources at the Home Office confirmed that the investigation was being treated “seriously” and appealed for the pupil to be given privacy.

In a statement, Stoke High School said: “This is a matter for the Home Office and we have referred it to them."

School bosses dropped a suggestion from a previous statement which suggested that the pupil was an asylum seeker.

It continued: "The student is not attending the school at this time.

“We can not comment further on an individual case, but we have followed Government and local authority policies and guidance, as we do for any admissions matter. ”

Parents have blasted the school over the investigation, accusing school bosses of trying to sweep it under the carpet.

One mum fumed in a Facebook post: "So My son’s school now let’s in ‘30 year old men’ claiming to be a 14 year old.

"He’s been there since the start of last term, that’s some huge security breach.

"Not funny at all but ffs look at his picture of him in class c’mon now I’m 35 he looks older than me!"

She said she was later told the pupil had been taken out of school pending investigation.

The mum added: "If my son didn't like the school I'd be taking him out permanently!"

Another worried parent, who did not want to be named, told the East Anglican Daily Times: “This is extremely concerning.

"He has told students he has had to lie to get into high school to complete his GCSEs.”

A pupil took an image of the individual dressed in uniform during a year 11 maths class.

The text across the image reads: "How is there a 30 year old man in our maths class."

Another parent raged: “My son goes to the school and it is not a nice thought that this man is around children and sitting with them at lunch.”

If there is a doubt about someone's age as part of an immigration case, the Home Office can arrange for social workers to undertake an assessment.

Because there are different rules for the treatment of adult and child asylum seekers, the authority has to establish at the outset the age category an individual is in.

Age indicators can include assessments of physical appearance such as height, build, facial hair and voice pitch.

The Sun Online has approached the Home Office and Stoke High School for further comment.