LONDON MAYOR Sadiq Khan jetted off on holiday – just hours after cops announced the fatal stabbing of 17 year-old Jodie Chesney.

The Sun can reveal the Labour Mayor jumped onto a plane to Marrakech with his wife on Saturday afternoon – as the nation demanded action over the knife crime epidemic.

Passengers sat in stunned silence as Mr Khan and his wife were given a security escort to the plane at Gatwick.

The coy leftie then took his seat – wearing a baseball cap for the entire flight.

One witness said: “When everyone had been seated on the plane a security guard or police officer escorted Sadiq and his wife to the door - then an air steward took them to their seats.

“He sat at the window and kept his cap on during the whole flight.

“Someone asked him if he was Sadiq and he said yes and smiled.”

The incredible move will spark uproar – given the clamour for action over the crime wave sweeping the country.

His holiday comes after it was revealed that the number of children admitted to hospital with stab wounds has soared by 93 per cent in five years.

Knife crime was also found to be twice as high outside London, according to Channel 4's Dispatches.

Mr Khan has been repeatedly criticised for a slow response to the blood-letting on the capital’s streets and the lack of coordination between London boroughs in tackling knife crime.

Last night he took to Twitter to back the Met Police’s call for any information over Jodie Chesney’s murder. He said: “There is no honour in staying silent.”

Home Secretary Sajid Javid earlier said he would be meeting police chiefs later this week to discuss what more can be done.

He stormed: “Young people are being murdered across the country and it can’t go on. It’s vital we unite to stop this senseless violence.”

Labour’s Yvette Cooper separately called for urgent leadership on tackling knife crime.

The head of the cross-party Home Affairs Committee, said: “Too many teenagers are dying on our streets, too many families are being devastated.”

A spokesman for Sadiq Khan last night insisted the Mayor would be back at work on Tuesday.

“Sadiq is on a short break with his wife and is in touch with Met Police Commissioner and City Hall at all times,” he said.

“He is back in the office on Tuesday.”