A South African radio host has been sacked after calling the leader of the opposition Economic Freedom Fighters party a monkey live on air.

Sasha Martinengo of Hot 91.9FM said on today's breakfast show "people still listen to this monkey”, referring to the radical MP Julius Malema.

Confirming the radio presenter's dismissal, Hot 91.9FM issued a statement apologising to Mr Malema and saying that Mr Martinengo's words had "violated the station’s code of conduct and commitment to our national democratic values".

"[Despite] the presenter’s immediate and unreserved apology, the station has forthwith elected to remove him from all involvement with the radio station with immediate effect," the statement from Hot 91.9FM added.

Mr Martinengo appeared to backtrack on his apology, tweeting "I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I stand by what I said".

South Africa is still reeling from the racial divisions and injustices of apartheid 24 years on.

In recent months, a South African man was sacked from his job after filming himself in a racist rant about black people that went viral, and another man has been charged with racially abusive language against President Cyril Ramaphosa.