ROCK star Ryan Adams is reportedly being investigated by the FBI after he was alleged to have exposed himself to an underage girl.

The probe comes after a young woman told the New York Times how she had Skype sex sessions with the musician, who was married to Mandy Moore at the time, when she was just 15-years-old.

Now a source within the FBI has told the New York Times that a criminal investigation has been launched in light of the allegations made against Adams.

Seven women claimed the singer offered mentorship and career opportunities in exchange for sex in the latest #metoo allegations.

The fan - named only as Ava - who is at the centre of the probe says she was still in school when the artist bombarded her with over 3,000 racy texts as she tried to break into the music industry.

The sordid messages allegedly started when she was just 15.

She told the New York Times: "I was really alone and he was really friendly and cool. It was just sexual power."

In one exchange the Grammy-nominated artist compared himself to shamed rapper R Kelly.

When the girl said she was worried about anyone finding out about their relationship, he replied: "If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley lol".

She claims he ended her career as a bassist before it begun when she went off the idea of sex.

His lawyers have denied the allegations.

But when confronted by the Times, he apologised for causing people "pain".

STAR BOMBARDED GIRLS WITH RACY TEXTS
He whined: "As someone who has always tried to spread joy through my music and my life, hearing that some people believe I caused them pain saddens me greatly.

"I am resolved to work to be the best man I can be. And I wish everyone compassion, understanding and healing."

He started talking to the teenage girl while he was married to Mandy Moore.

The couple met when she was 23 and he was 33.

They divorced in 2016 after she accused him of "psychological abuse" and "controlling behaviour."

She told the Times: "He would always tell me, You’re not a real musician, because you don’t play an instrument.

"His controlling behaviour essentially did block my ability to make new connections in the industry during a very pivotal and potentially lucrative time - my entire mid-to-late 20s.

"What you experience with him - the treatment, the destructive, manic sort of back and forth behaviour - feels so exclusive.

"I never see pics of you anymore""You were blowing my mind""If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley lol""I just want you to touch your nipple""And tell me that your mom is not gonna kill me if she finds out we even text"

"You feel like there’s no way other people have been treated like this."

Another accuser, Phoebe Bridges, claims she was 20 when he invited her to a recording studio in 2014.

The pair embarked on a whirlwind romance after he compared her to Bob Dylan and gave her an expensive vintage guitar.

But she claims he soon became controlling and demanded to know where she was at all times.

He reportedly described the relationship to her mum as a "once in a lifetime opportunity" for the fledgling musician.