RSPCA NSW has seized 21 deceased, sick and emaciated greyhounds from a licensed and registered greyhound trainer in western Sydney.

Inspectors seized nine sick and emaciated greyhounds, along with the remains of nine deceased greyhounds on Tuesday, July 3 from the property in Marsden Park, and an additional three sick greyhounds on Monday, July 9.

The nine deceased greyhounds were found in a mass grave on the property.

The living dogs have varying medical conditions including emaciation and severe dental disease.

All greyhounds have since been surrendered to RSPCA NSW. The animal welfare body is investigating serious alleged animal cruelty offences, with the provision of information and assistance from the Greyhound Welfare Integrity Commission which was launched to regulate the industry in July.

RSPCA NSW acting chief inspector Andrew Clachers said three of the organisation’s most senior officers were sent to the property following a tip-off from a member of the public.

He said the discovery of the mass grave deeply affected the attending officers.

“It’s very confronting what they discovered,” he said. “I saw the way they responded, I watched it on video and they had to get down into that hole and try and preserve the remains for forensic examination.

“It is a terrible task to have to do, but they do it with the hope that that will lead to a successful investigation and prosecution.

“One of the inspectors who attended has been with the RSPCA for 20 years and she said she has seen all types of things, but having to be a part of this was up there with the worst that she has seen.”

He said a successful prosecution could lead to jail time and a hefty fine for the individual involved.

“In NSW, the maximum penalty for aggravated cruelty is two years’ imprisonment and fines of up to $22,000.”

There are further fines and potential jail time for failure to provide veterinary treatment.

The horrifying discovery comes in the same week as the two-year anniversary of Premier Mike Baird’s now-overturned ban on the industry.

In October 2016, Mr Baird personally apologised for the proposed ban on the greyhound industry saying: “I’m not trying to sugar coat it. I got it wrong.”

Mr Baird said the greyhound ban would be put on hold to give the industry the opportunity to reform itself.

“We made a decision that was very decisive on the back of systemic animal cruelty we saw in greyhound industry.

“It’s clear in hindsight we got it wrong, I got it wrong, the Cabinet got it wrong, the Government got it wrong,” he said.

Announcing the initial ban in July, Mr Baird said widespread animal cruelty meant “we are left with no acceptable course of action except to close this industry down”.

Mr Baird said there had been a “crescendo of feedback” on the issue. “The feedback I have received from the community is, yes, they were horrified, but they have also said, ‘Why did you not to give industry one last chance?’”