Rose McGowan has taken a swipe at Meryl Streep and other female stars planning to wear black to the Golden Globes next year as part of a 'silent protest'.

It was previously reported that a number of actresses have vowed to wear all black at the annual awards ceremony as a form of protest against sexual misconduct in Hollywood.

But Rose, who has become a leading feminist voice on Twitter after being named in a New York Times expose as one of the women who settled sexual harassment suits with Harvey Weinstein, has said that the actresses 'silence' is part of the problem.

Rose, 44, specifically called out Oscar-winner Meryl Streep who she said had "happily worked for The Pig Monster".

She fumed on Twitter: "Actresses, like Meryl Streep, who happily worked for The Pig Monster, are wearing black Golden Globes in a silent protest. YOUR SILENCE is THE problem. You’ll accept a fake award breathlessly & affect no real change. I despise your hypocrisy."

She went on to sarcastically suggest they should dress in Marchesa, Harvey Weinstein's wife's clothing brand.

"Maybe you should all wear Marchesa."

It's unknown if Meryl will wear black to the Golden Globes, which are taking place on January 7.

When asked by Extra about whether she would be taking part in the protest, Meryl simply replied, “I don’t know. I’m not talking," before saying people should tune in.

The actress previously spoke out against the shamed movie mogul, saying that the women who have spoken out against him are "heroes".

“The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported. The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes," she said in a statement.

"One thing can be clarified. Not everybody knew. Harvey supported the work fiercely, was exasperating but respectful with me in our working relationship, and with many others with whom he worked professionally.

"I didn’t know about these other offenses: I did not know about his financial settlements with actresses and colleagues; I did not know about his having meetings in his hotel room, his bathroom, or other inappropriate, coercive acts.

"And If everybody knew, I don’t believe that all the investigative reporters in the entertainment and the hard news media would have neglected for decades to write about it."

The statement went on: "The behavior is inexcusable, but the abuse of power familiar. Each brave voice that is raised, heard and credited by our watchdog media will ultimately change the game.”