A ROMANIAN has claimed she paid workers £130-a-day after eight alleged slaves were found crammed in a squalid farmhouse.

The woman, known only as Gabriela, protested her innocence as the apparent horrific conditions of the farmhouse were today revealed.

Grown men were allegedly made to sleep in bunk beds in the farmhouse's tiny rooms, with a bed even placed in the fire place.

Police are also claimed to have found rooms filled with rubbish and broken furniture after swooping on Willow Tree Farm in Iver, Bucks.

Three people, including a 41-year-old Romanian bricklayer, his girlfriend and his best friend known as Luigi, 49, were arrested on suspicion of modern day slavery after cops descended on the property.

Speaking to the Mail Online, girlfriend Gabriela said: "We are not slave owners.

"Yes, I was arrested yesterday. It was the first time I have ever been arrested. I’m so embarrassed. I know what the crime police have accused me of – of slavery – but I have not exploited anyone."

She added: "All of the eight people who were taken away work in construction. They are bricklayers and labourers. They earn £130 per day."

She further claimed the people paid £250-a-month in rent, saying they were paid much better with them than they would in be in Romania.

Three suspects were released on bail last night as police continued their investigations.

More than 100 officers had swooped on the home after receiving reports about forced labour being used on building sights.

They rescued eight people in the pre-planned operation led by Thames Valley Police and supported by the National Crime Agency, and the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority.

Dramatic pictures show dozens of police cars and officers carrying out the raid this morning.

A minibus can also be seen carrying alleged slavery victims away from the residential home.

Detective Inspector James Mather, leading the operation, said: “This operation has safeguarded vulnerable people in society and a number of arrests have been made.

"Modern slavery is the exploitation of people for personal or commercial gain. Officers continue to work closely with our partner agencies to ensure those who carry out this activity are disrupted and any victims are supported.

"We are in the early stages of the investigation and considerable work to identify any further victims will follow. It has been a really positive example of partnership working, and I’d like to thank all the officers and agencies involved."

Cops are now asking people to be vigilant of slavery and report anything suspicious to police.

They have released signs of slavery for locals to watch out for - including victims being "withdrawn, unable to make eye contact, or being reluctant to talk to strangers".

DI Mather added: "Their appearance may be unkempt, they may be malnourished, or showing signs of physical or psychological injury.

“They may also have inappropriate clothing or equipment for their job, be working long hours for little or no pay.

"Their accommodation may be overcrowded and poorly maintained.

"They may lack some basic freedoms, such as not having access to their identity or travel documents, and have their movements restricted.

“Keeping people safe from harm is all of our responsibility. To make a report please call Thames Valley Police’s non-emergency number, 101.

"If you have any concerns about modern slavery – whether you need to get help, report a suspicion or seek advice – please call the modern slavery helpline on 08000 121 700.”