THREE members of a reclusive family have been arrested after a body was found when builders working on their house complained of a foul smell.

Roofers were removing tiles from the stone cottage when they raised the alarm.

Cops arrived and the remains of an adult were discovered.

Three people - a woman aged 75, a man, 46, and a 51-year-old woman - were arrested.

Locals in Helmsley, North Yorks, said they were a Japanese family who had lived there for about 20 years but never talked to anyone.

The older woman was allegedly never seen around the market town and the younger pair - thought to be brother and sister - were reportedly only ever spotted on their weekly trip to buy food.

A child, who had also never been seen outside, may have lived at the property at some stage.

Shopworker Penny Bradley, 51, said: "The rumour is that he is an author and most people think they are brother and sister but it's hard to be certain because they never speak to anyone.

"As far as I knew there were just the two of them living in the house, I didn't realise there was an older lady living there, you never see her."

A neighbour added: "In all the time they have lived here I have never had so much as a word from them.

"They avert their gaze when you meet them to avoid contact.

"I have seen the old lady from time to time but only a face at the window.

"They've been here for over 20 years. About two weeks ago scaffolding went up outside their home.

"The roofers were at work when they noticed a dreadful smell. I don't know what they uncovered but the police were called in and the body was found.

"It's chilling, people are shocked and horrified that such a things has happened here.

"Helmsley is your typical Yorkshire market town, you don't get much to talk about from one year to the next."

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said the remains were found at about 6pm on Tuesday.

The spokesman said: "The death is currently being treated as unexplained.

The coroner has been informed.

"Enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the death.

"A 75-year-old woman, a 46-year-old man and a 51-year-old woman have been arrested in connection with the incident."