A RAPIST who claimed he suffered from "sexsomnia" after attacking a woman on his bed has been jailed for five years.

Karl Gammon, 24, told jurors he suffered from the rare sleeping disorder and did not remember the incident.

But following an eight day trial at Leicester Crown Court, Gammon was found guilty of rape.

The court heard Gammon, an engineer, forced himself on the woman after drinking with her and another woman in Loughborough, Leics., in March 2016.

They had all drunkenly crashed out on his double bed once they returned to his home before one of the women woke to find Gammon "thrusting" on top of her friend.

He accepted DNA evidence proved he had had sex with the victim but claimed he suffered from "sexsomnia" or "sleep-related sexual behaviour."

He told cops he had been in a deep sleep and added: "I don't know what happened, I have no memory."

Gammon, of Loughborough, Leics., was found guilty of one count of rape and cleared of sexual assault earlier this month.

Today he was jailed for five years and ordered to sign on the sex offenders register for life.

Detective Sergeant Tom Brenton, of Leicestershire Police, said after the case: "Gammon's victim has shown tremendous courage throughout the judicial process despite living with the trauma of that night more than two years ago.

"Not only did Gammon prey on his victim when she was vulnerable, he claimed not to have knowledge of the rape when questioned by officers and as such she was forced to relive her ordeal in court.

"I can only hope that today's result will help to give her closure and move forward with her life."