HUNDREDS of The Prodigy fans have travelled from across Europe to line the streets of Essex and "raise the roof" to send off Keith Flint today.

The music legend's funeral is this afternoon - with schools shutting early ahead of a 1.7 mile procession through his hometown of Braintree.

Mourners have poured into Braintree to pay their respects and give Flint the send-off called for by his bandmates.

They have come dressed in bright colours and outfits similar to ones the frontman would sported in his time entertaining his many fans.

Devastated fans have travelled from as far as America, Prague and the Netherlands to be among hundreds as they say a poignant farewell.

The Prodigy earlier tweeted: "Fans are invited to line the procession route, starting at 3pm in Braintree, Essex on Fri 29th March, to pay their final respects & 'raise the roof' for Keef!

"If anyone wishes to lay flowers or tributes these should be sent to St Mary's church in Bocking, no later than 2pm Friday.

"The church service will just be for family and close friends, but there will be speakers relaying the ceremony outside the church for everyone to hear."

Trains heading to Braintree were said to be standing room only as fans travelled to pay their respects - decked out in The Prodigy branded clothes and raving to the hit songs.

The much-loved vocalist was found dead at his home in Essex on March 4 at the age of 49.

His funeral will be private but fans hoping to hear the service will be able to listen through speakers outside the Bocking church.

Some schools in the area have said they will shut early so parents don't get caught in the congestion, as a large number of mourners are expected.

The procession will start from Courtauld Road in Braintree, near the roundabout of Railway Street and Coggeshall Road.

Essex Police said roads in the area would remain open and warned of delays as they were expecting a "large number of well-wishers" to attend.

A crowd has already formed outside the historic building, with The Retreat pub opening its doors to mourners.

Hawaiian-shirt clad men mix with ravers wearing boiler suits in the sunny street, and the band's hits filled the air with flags stretching up into the sky.

'RAISE THE ROOF'
Fans sat on the green outside the 15th Century church with well-wishers travelling from as far-a-field as Prague and the Netherlands.

Marie Lelicova, 25, came from the Czech Republic to the service and was clad in a flag.

The photography student said: "I never met Keith but by being here at least I get the chance to tell him I love him.

"It is funny because when I first saw the video for Breath and I was scared of Keith and my mother said don't be worried he is just a nice clown.

"As I grew older I just started listening to them and loved their music. For others the service was a much more personal affair."

Louisa Di Marco, 44, used to dance with Flint before The Prodigy found huge success, she said: "I used to dance with them professionally in the 1990s.

"I knew him and I'm going to miss him, he was just one of the nicest I have ever met, he was lovely.

"I will miss having a coffee with him. When I dropped out of the scene to have a baby he was the only one to keep in touch."

Flowers from thousands of miles away sit outside St Mary's Church.

A tattoo parlour, Intaskin Tattoos, are today offering walk-in Keith Flint and The Prodigy tattoos to mark the beloved singer's life.

And floral tributes and emotional messages have already been left outside the church - with many fans thanking Flint for the effect his music had on them.

Gemma Duncan, a fan who has arrived early, told Essex Live: "I’ve been a fan since I was probably about 15, I’m 38 now so it’s quite a while.

“He was amazing, so unique and ground-breaking, I haven’t heard anything like it before and nothing like it since. I left a little card for family.

“He will never die. I think when amazing legends produce stuff they will never die, they will always live on.”

An inquest heard earlier this month that Flint died by hanging.

His bandmate Liam Howlett said in an earlier Instagram post that Flint "took his own life".

The singer rose to fame in the Brit Award-winning electronic band in the 1990s and was known for hits including Firestarter and Breathe.

Fans pledged to make Firestarter number one after Flint's death, with it climbing the charts in the days after the tragic discovery.

They released their latest album No Tourists in November, their seventh consecutive number one record.

He was described in a statement by Howlett and fellow bandmate Maxim as "a true pioneer, innovator and legend".

They said Flint was their "brother and best friend" and "he will be forever missed".

The Sun previously reported that the hitmaker had "spiralled into depression" after the breakdown of his marriage with his estranged wife Mayumi Kai.

Flint had taken part in the 5k Chelmsford Central parkrun on March 2, posting a personal best time of 21.22.

Following his death, The Prodigy cancelled all shows "with immediate effect".