A HAUL pack crash at an iron ore mine in the Pilbara has resulted in the death of a worker overnight.

The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety is now investigating the incident at Rio Tinto’s Greater Paraburdoo operations.

Department safety director Andrew Chaplyn said the 28-year-old worker was fatally injured when the haul truck he was driving veered off the haul road at the Channar mine.

“The incident occurred about 11pm last night and operations at the mine site have ceased,” Mr Chaplyn said.

“The department sends its sincere condolences to the worker’s family, friends and co-workers.”

Rio confirmed the death but said it could not comment further or reveal details of the incident.

“Overnight an incident occurred at our Paraburdoo mine operations that has resulted in a fatality,” a spokesman said.

“Our deepest sympathies are with the person’s family and friends at their loss.

“The incident is being investigated by the relevant authorities, with our full support.”

The Greater Paraburdoo operations — including Paraburdoo, Channar and Eastern Ranges —produce 24 million tonnes of iron ore a year and have a workforce of both residential and fly-in, fly-out workers.

Pilbara diesel fitter Lee Buzzard, 32, was killed at the same mine in June 2016.