A TEEN girl says Prince Harry offered a job after she finishes her studies during a chat over a cup of tea in New Zealand.

Lucia Kennedy chatted to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during an event at a café in Wellington focusing on youth mental health on Monday.

The 19-year-old, who is studying a double degree in commerce and psychology at university, told Stuff: "I said to Harry, 'I finish uni in two years, I'd love to come and work for you'.

"He said, 'We'd love to have you, just give us a yell when you come over, we'll sort it out."

The student said she'd celebrate the job offer by having dinner with her flatmates.

Lucia, who describes herself as a "happiness entrepreneur", was part of a 45 minute session at the Maranui cafe to discuss youth mental health.

She founded the Take A Chance Project, which offers coaching and mentor programmes for young people, after losing friends and her family home in the Christchurch earthquake when she was just 12.

Lucia said: "I saw Harry's face light up when he heard about counselling offered to the defence team and New Zealand military personnel.

"He was really impressed and happy to hear that, I think."

During his time at the cafe, Harry spoke about his own struggles with mental health admitting that it took him years to confront his own inner turmoil after losing his mum Diana, Princess of Wales, in a car crash aged 12.

He said: "It took me about three or four years to start the journey and then after that you still have to find the right people to speak to."

Harry praised Voices of Hope for their 2017 viral video Dear Suicidal Me, which features young people who have overcome mental health issues reading their own suicide notes.

The couple heard the video saved the life of a 15-year-old young girl in Canada.

"Her mother contacted us and said that her daughter was planning to take her life but then saw the video and went to speak to her instead," said Jazz Thornton, co-founder of Voices of Hope.

"It saved her life."

Harry said: "It's amazing what you have done.

"I think anyone who has overcome mental health problems often go out of their own way to help others."