The job of South Africa’s finance minister hangs in the balance as the president's office denies any knowledge of him requesting to resign.

Nhlanhla Nene apologised on Friday for not being truthful about his meetings with the controversial Gupta family at their home in Johannesburg, saying:

" I am human too, I do make mistakes... However, it is reasonable of the public to expect public office bearers to own up fully and timeously to the mistakes they make... I should also have disclosed early, and fully, the details of these meetings."
I am human too, I do make mistakes... However, it is reasonable of the public to expect public office bearers to own up fully and timeously to the mistakes they make... I should also have disclosed early, and fully, the details of these meetings."

Local media reports said that, over the weekend, the embattled minister called the president requesting that he be relieved of his duties.

President Cyril Ramaphosa’s spokesperson Khusela Diko told Reuters on Monday: "We are not aware of Minister Nene asking to be relieved of his duties."

Mr Nene denies that he did anything wrong during his meetings with the Guptas.

He made the comment about the meetings during an inquiry into allegations that the Guptas exercised undue influence over politics in the country, including the naming of government ministers.

They have been also been accused of using their relationship with former President Jacob Zuma to win government contracts.

The Guptas and Mr Zuma deny any involvement in corruption.