A PREGNANT woman was found slumped against a doorway in a pool of her own blood after being stabbed multiple times in the stomach and chest.

Screams rang out across a quiet suburb in Sydney’s north last night, as Pei-Jiun Cheah, a 33-year-old physiotherapist and pilates instructor, staggered to her neighbour’s home, banged on the door and collapsed.

Police say Ms Cheah — who is seven months pregnant — was home alone when she was attacked during a violent house invasion on Gloria Close in Mount Colah at about 8.50pm last night.

Neighbour Mark Bolger told reporters said horrific screams could be heard as the expecting mother cried for help.

“She just knocked on our door and said ‘I’ve been attacked help me, help me’,” he told reporters.

“We could see blood but not her actual wound.

“She was just totally distressed as we tried to ask her questions to get more information but she was so stressed she just couldn’t speak about many other things.”

He added that she had fought off the intruder.

“She’s supposedly disarmed him so one would assume the bloke had raced away,” he said.

NSW Police say Ms Cheah disturbed the intruder during a break-and-enter before she was stabbed several times in the stomach and chest. She is understood to have move into the area just six months ago.

The attacker fled the scene and Ms Cheah sought assistance from neighbours who reportedly found her slumped up against her neighbour’s door in a pool of her own blood. Witnesses says she was holding her side as she was comforted by neighbours who wrapped her in a blanket.

They quickly called emergency services who rushed to the scene.

Paramedic Andrew Rienits told 9 NEWS the victim was “quite distressed” when emergency crews arrived.

“Paramedics did what they needed to do quite quickly and efficiently and were ready to receive the medical team as soon as they landed at an oval,” he said.

“It is never easy to attend those jobs and the paramedics did an admirable job in getting the treatment that they needed to do.”

About an hour later, a 14-year-old boy was arrested at a home on a nearby street.

Ms Ceah was taken by ambulance to Royal North Shore Hospital. A NSW Police spokeswoman said she is in a stable condition this morning. News.com.au understands the baby is safe as the majority of the mother’s stab wounds were on her chest.

The teenage boy was taken to Hornsby Hospital for treatment to hand wounds believed to have been suffered during the incident.

He is currently awaiting surgery under police guard.