A SINGER has been jailed for two years after a music video showing her pouring milk over a banana and eating it suggestively was ruled too sexually explicit.

A POP singer has been jailed for two years after a music video showing her pouring milk over a banana and eating it suggestively was ruled too sexually explicit.

Egyptian singer Shyma caused a storm when she released the video for her single I Have Issues, which attracted over a million views in 48 hours, The Telegraph reports.

The clip showed the 21-year-old singing in her underwear and eating the banana in front of classroom of men.

Shyma, who was arrested on November 18, later apologised for the clip in a Facebook post.

“I didn’t imagine all this would happen and that I would be subjected to such a strong attack from everyone, as a young singer … who has dreamt from a young age of being a singer,” she wrote.

In sentencing the pop singer, a Cairo court ruled that Shyma was “inciting debauchery” and fined her $1000.

The director of the video, Mohamed Gamal, received the same sentence.

Egyptian authorities under President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi have used wide-ranging morality laws to crack down on a range of artists.