A DISGRUNTLED Pizza Express diner has shared a woeful image of a pizza she was served after the restaurant ran out of vegan cheese.

Mary Nesbitt-Larking was at the branch in Hatfield, Hertfordshire when she opted for the vegan offering.

What came out of the kitchen has been rightfully described as a “shameful monstrosity” after it emerged that the restaurant had run out of its supply of vegan cheese.

In her photograph, the thin pizza base is seen topped with lashings of thick red tomato sauce, and just a handful of red onions.

In a previous visit to the same outlet, she had been served a vegan pizza with vegan mozzarella, spinach, red onions and caramelised onions – a far cry from what she had in front of her that day.

Within minutes of her posting the sad image online, she was inundated with comments, with many asking if it was a “bad joke”.

One wrote: “"OMG what haw can they have the cheek to serve you this mess of a pizza I would of refuse to have it Mary I’m so sorry hun that is shameful disgusting they could of made it better put peppers olives chilliest pineapple something to make it look nice".

Another outraged friend wrote: “Are you serious. What an insult. Did you throw it at them ??!!"

While some of her pals though the pizza “looked funny”, others branded it a “monstrosity” and were outraged that she was charged £9 for it.

Speaking to Femail, Mary said: “Vegan food options are amazing, and Pizza Express are incredible usually, it was just that one time they failed so epically.

“It was so awkward because I'd waited over an hour and at that point I would have eaten anything as long as it was vegan.

“It tasted like undercooked flat bread with a whole tin of tomatoes over it that were really sour, and had raw, red onions on top.”

Mary, who went vegan more than five years ago, managed to keep a sense of humour about the incident, uploading the image with a laughing emoji and facepalm emoji.

The restaurant has since apologised to Mary for letting her down and have invited her back to try their new autumn menu, with a dedicated vegan section, as a way to say sorry.