PETER Casey said his controversial comments about the Traveller community didn’t change his fortunes in the Presidential election.

Before his remarks claiming Travellers are just “camping on people’s property”, he was polling around two per cent.

However, he now looks set to finish a comfortable second with exit polls putting him around 21 per cent.

Speaking on RTE Radio 1, he rejected that those comments were the reason for his turnaround in fortunes.

He said: “It looks like we’ve come a close second, but I’m still very optimistic.

“The reason I went up in the polls is because I spoke about people who are really hurting.

“Ireland is not a nation of people that want a handout, they want a hand up. They’re frustrated. They’re the ones who are paying the bills.”

On the Traveller community, he said: “They’re 0.7 per cent of the population. There’s so many wonderful ethnic communities in the country, but people in the Travelling community are not. They’re Irish”.

Asked if he would run for the Dail, he said he would take some time before making a decision.

He said: “I will definitely do something that I think can make a difference. I won’t take too long.”

Asked why he felt he performed so strongly, with exit polls indicating he’s won around 21 per cent of the vote, he said: “People are looking for a voice.

“We have a government that’s not governing. A government that’s done very little and someone came along who spoke their mind. There’s a breath of fresh air in Irish politics.”

Mr Casey was polling around one or two per cent before his controversial remarks about Travellers “camping on people’s property”.

In reaction to Casey’s performance, member of the Travelling community and Love/Hate actor John Connors says he’s “finished with Ireland”.

He tweeted: “Wait till the next elections. Lets see how many follow the Casey way.

“I’m finished with Ireland. I’m giving up trying to make it a better place.”

Counting is getting underway after the nation voted on who would be president – with exit polls pointing to Michael D Higgins remaining President for another seven years.

The Ipsos MRBI exit poll for The Irish Times predicts 56 per cent of voters were in favour of keeping the Galway politician in the Aras.

Peter Casey’s second place was followed by Liadh Ní Riada (8 per cent), Sean Gallagher (7 per cent), Joan Freeman (6 per cent) and Gavin Duffy (2 per cent).

Michael D Higgins won 58.1 per cent of the votes in the RTE News / Red C poll.

Peter Casey finished on 20.7 per cent, Liadh Ní Riada (7.4 per cent), Joan Freeman (6.3 per cent), Sean Gallagher (5.5 per cent) and Gavin Duffy (2 per cent).

A referendum to abolish blasphemy from the constitution looks like passing, with the RTE News/Red C exit poll indicating 71 per cent voted in favour of axing it with 29 per cent voted for it to remain.