Heartless rocker Pete Doherty visited the cat owner whose pet was killed by his dogs and asked: "It was still twitching - did you not take it to the vet?"

The Libertines frontman also invited grieving Penny Ward, 70, to meet his two huskies to "see how lovely they are".

But the 39-year-old singer didn't even apologise for the off-lead Siberian hunting dogs savaging eight-year-old tabby Archie to death on the sea front at Margate, Kent, a week ago.

And he revealed he had placed his own two cats in a shelter to prevent the powerful hounds attacking them.

Notorious druggie Doherty - former fiance of supermodel Kate Moss - went to see Penny at her basement flat only after The Sun revealed the 10-minute attack.

Kieron Woodward, 27, who tried to stop the dogs, said Archie was still indeed moving but could only open and close its mouth before it passed away.

Penny said: "He was going on about how he usually takes his dogs for a walk at four or five in the morning. He was just making excuses.

"When he told me Archie was twitching, I could not believe how insensitive that was. I lost my temper, it is very rare I swear. He looked as if he was in a world of his own."

"If he could not even say sorry, he should not have bothered coming."

Police are due to speak to Doherty - though dog law experts believe they will have difficulty proving a crime