A PERSONAL trainer has urged people to be beware of looking at their phones while crossing roads after being struck by a vehicle in a suspected hit-and run.

Olivia Keane, 20, was knocked over and left unconscious while walking across Butts Road in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, on New Year's Eve.

Police believe the vehicle that hit her — sometime between 12.30pm and 1.20pm — failed to stop.

Miss Keane told the BBC she believes she was looking down at her phone at the time.

She said: "If I was on my phone and crossing the road I know I'm partly to blame, and also you never know what idiots are going to be driving around.

"[Looking at your phone] is not worth it in the slightest. Just wait until you get home or wait until you've crossed the road, at least. I've definitely learned the hard way."

The next thing she said she remembered after being hit was lying on the ground and having a “banging headache".

After being taken by ambulance to hospital she was found to have severe pelvic and rib bruising and face cuts to her face.

A police spokeswoman said: "It is believed the woman was knocked unconscious after being in collision with a vehicle that failed to stop, and she may have been at the roadside for several minutes before regaining consciousness."