A MAN has been left fighting for his life after being stabbed in a broad daylight knife attack today.

The victim, in his 40s, was attacked in Peckham, south London, this morning just before 6.30am.

A witness, a 37-year-old man from Peckham Rye, said: "I saw it on my way to work. I can't believe this sort of thing is happening in broad daylight on a Saturday morning on a high street. It's so shocking.

"It was at a bus stop and there were lots of people gathered around. It was quite early but there were still people going off to work. They looked really worried.

"The man was on the ground being treated, I think by police. There was already a police car there and another pulled up with its light on, parking on the pavement.

"He looked in a bad way. A few moments later I saw a ambulance car rushing up Peckham High Street."

Cops confirmed the man was in a critical condition in hospital after suffering a number of stab wounds.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman added: "Officers attended. The man, who is believed to be aged in his late 40s, was taken to a south London hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

"Enquiries continue. There have been no arrests."

playground
Another witness to the shocking morning attack said they say police and paramedics gathered around the person lying on the floor on their way to work.

They told the Sun Online: "The scene was something out of the saw horror movie blood everywhere and loads of people trying CPR.

"They have placed blue and red tape and have blocked the road and surrounding areas

"It is touch and go at the moment."

This morning in a separate case a 21-year-old man was charged with manslaughter after a girl, 17, was knifed to death in South London on Thursday.

At least 51 people have been fatally stabbed in London since the beginning of the year.

So far in 2018 there have been 1,296 stabbings in London up to the end of April, according to official statistics from the Met Police.