PRESIDENT Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort was sent to jail after a federal judge revoked his bail in the wake of witness tampering charges lodged by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Washington, DC, Judge Amy Berman Jackson ordered that the accused felon be locked up until his trial on money laundering and a slew of other charges begins in September.

US marshals led Manafort — who gave a brief wave to his wife Kathleen and supporters after learning his fate — out of the courtroom and into the prisoner holding area seconds after the judge’s ruling.

A marshal then returned to give his wife Manafort’s wallet as well as his belt and necktie — typical procedures to prevent prisoners from committing suicide, CNN reported.

Prosecutors argued that Manafort — who has done extensive work in Ukraine and elsewhere in Europe — was a significant flight risk.

Last week, Mueller’s team of investigators charged that Manafort had tried to persuade witnesses in his case to lie about their lobbying efforts on his behalf in the US.

Prosecutors argued that Manafort was a “danger to the community” and that he committed a crime while out on release, obstruction of justice.

Trump said Friday he “feels badly ” for his former campaign chair.

“I feel badly about a lot of it because I think a lot of it is very unfair,” Trump said.

“I feel a little badly about it. They went back 12 years to get things that he did 12 years ago.”

Manafort entered not guilty pleas to the two charges levied against him last week for witness tampering and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Manafort has maintained his innocence and vowed to fight the charges since he was indicted.

He was indicted by a grand jury as part of Mueller’s ongoing investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 presidential election.