PARENTS are being encouraged to book their children in a for a free meningococcal ACWY jab, with more than 1000 spots still available at the Derwent Entertainment Centre vaccination clinic tomorrow.

The first of the clinics held at the DEC two weeks ago attracted more than 5000 young people from Hobart’s northern suburbs. Another 1350 people from across the state have been vaccinated today.

Any Tasmanian aged from six weeks to 21 (born before August 1, 1997) is eligible for the free vaccination.

Mother-of-three Jamie Talbor, of Kingston, had her sons vaccinated yesterday.

“It’s been difficult to get them in at the doctors, so I thought it was a great opportunity to bring them to the DEC and have them all done at once,” she said.

“A friend of mine let me know about the clinic and I only booked in last night. It was a very easy process and simple to follow.”

Public Health director Dr Mark Veitch said it was important no young person missed out on receiving the free vaccine.

“As well as the recent outbreak, Tasmania as a whole has had the highest rate of meningococcal W infection for the past two years, and that’s why we’re continuing to offer this protection to all young Tasmanians,” he said.

“Meningococcal infection can occur at any time, but about two-thirds of cases occur during winter and spring.”

Dr Veitch said vaccination clinics would also be held in Launceston, Burnie and Devonport over the next three months.

The recently expanded State Government program is expected to cost at least $3 million.

Anyone who is concerned they may be showing symptoms of meningococcal disease should seek emergency medical care.

For more information about meningococcal disease visit www.health.tas.gov.au or call the Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738. Vaccinations bookings can be made at www.trybooking.com/XGZJ.