A KIND stranger made a busy paramedic's day when she spontaneously offered to buy his food at a Tesco checkout.

Chris Hughes, who works for the Welsh ambulance service, was so moved that he took to social media to express his gratitude.

He posted the image of his free lunch - southern fried chicken pasta, some Walkers Square crisps and a coke - on Twitter.

Alongside it he wrote: "Stopped to pick up some lunch, to be told at the checkout that it's paid for by a customer already in the store as a thank you."

Hughes from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, was working in Bargoed in the Valleys when he popped into a Tesco to buy his lunch.

He was waiting in line when the woman said she wanted to thank him for his hard work.

By the time he'd gotten to his till, he realised that someone had already covered the cost of his food.
Hughes, 39, said: "It all happened a bit quick to be honest. I was on my break for lunch so I went to Tesco.

"We were just about pay at the till but the cashier said someone had already paid for it. She said the payment for this has been added to her bill.

"She said, 'that paramedic there... whatever he has I will pay for it. It’s on me'."

Hughes could not find her to say thank you, so decided to post the image on Twitter to show he was grateful.

He added: "It just shows there are people out there who are willing to support us.

"It’s nice to know we have their support."