AN Uber passenger was still charged his £18 fare — despite “nearly dying” when his cab plunged into the sea.

Businessman Nick Christoforou, 31, and colleague Sophia Toon, 23, had to swim for their lives after their taxi drove off the end of a jetty.

Nick said: “One minute I was in the back of an Uber heading home, and the next I was in the sea.”

He went on: “I managed to get the car door open and got to the surface to find the others.

"If I wasn’t in a fit and able state we would all be 100 per cent dead.”

The real estate worker from Cockfosters, north London, was on a work trip to the South of France when he booked a car via the popular Uber app.

He and Sophia were picked up at 1.30am in Cannes by a driver in a Citroen DS5.

Nick said: “All of a sudden I felt falling.

"Five seconds later and the car was filling up with water.

“Even now I am not certain what caused it.”

The car sank into water 3m (10ft) deep at Port Pierre Canto, a marina for 500 yachts in the city, which hosts Cannes Film Festival each year.

Nick swam to the nearest boat and pulled the others to safety.

The driver was breathalysed and found to be sober.

No arrests were made.

A police spokesman told The Sun: “Luckily the car sank slowly, allowing some time for the occupants to get out safely.”

Uber, which took the £18 fare from Nick’s app account, has refunded him and offered £800 compensation, which he refused.

The company said he should claim via the driver’s insurance as the man was self-employed.

An Uber spokeswoman said: “We contacted both passengers to ensure they were OK and are offering counselling while they await the outcome of their claim.

“The driver involved is no longer able to use the Uber app.”