PAEDO footballer Adam Johnson has not ruled out a shock return to football after today apologising to the teen victim he groomed.

The former Premier League ace has broken his silence to finally say sorry for his sexual activity with the besotted 15-year-old fan.

The ex-Sunderland player, 31, spoke of his "deep regrets" after being released from jail last month where he served just half of a six-year sentence.

But the ex-winger didn't shed any light on what he plans to do with his footballing career.

The former international winger is said to have finally accepted English teams have turned their backs on him.

However, Johnson - who played for his country 12 times - is now said to be eyeing up clubs overseas in the hope he will be able to resume his career.

Under the terms of his prison release he will be on license for the remainder of his sentence – another three years - meaning he would have to fulfil weekly meetings with a probation officer.

The sanctions mean he could join a club in the French, German or Turkish leagues as it would be relatively easy for him to jet back for his visits.

But it rules out him joining a US team as his conviction would make it difficult to get a visa under strict American immigration rules and China would juts be too far away.

When asked whether the future for Johnson meant a return to football, his father, Dave Johnson, said: “No comment.”

Johnson earlier said in a statement that he "would like to take this opportunity to publicly express my remorse for my actions" which "led to my conviction and imprisonment".

He added: "I am very sorry for the effect my conduct had on those directly and indirectly involved. It should never have happened and I deeply regret what I did.

JAIL TIME
"I now want to concentrate on the future and want to demonstrate through my actions that I am committed to repaying them for their support."

Johnson, 31, was released last month from HMP Moorland in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

Johnson was banged up after being convicted of engaging in sexual activity with a besotted 15-year-old fan.

The pervert met his victim when she was just 14 when she would wait for him after matches to get his autograph.

Johnson soon began grooming her online, despite knowing she was 15, before meeting her twice in his £80,000 Range Rover in January 2015.

On the second occasion, they engaged in sexual activity just three weeks after his ex Stacey Flounders gave birth to their daughter Ayla.

His ex Stacey stood by the footie paedo right up until his trial began at Bradford Crown Court where the jury sensationally heard that the ex-air hostess had dumped him.

She recently told The Sun she doesn't see the star as a paedophile and believes he was a "sex addict."

The footy perv continued to pick up his £60,000-a-week wages from Sunderland after he was charged.

While he was in prison, Johnson sold the home he had shared with Stacey to cricketer Ben Stokes and he now lives in a £2m mansion complete with swimming pool and bowling alley in Castle Eden, Co Durham.

Former Scotland boss Gordon Strachan, 62, spoken out in support of Johnson on The Debate on Sky Sports last week.

Discussing whether he would sign him as a player he said: "I would if he’s shown genuine remorse.

"I would because I go back to what I believe in that everybody deserves a second chance – and he’s done his bit.”

But child abuse campaigners blasted his comments.