TEENAGERS accused of pelting a vulnerable woman with flour and eggs then posing for a photo are getting police protection — in case they are attacked.

Their families told police they fear vigilante reprisals. Locals in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, are furious. One said: “It’s disgusting. They’re yobs.”

Local councillor Paul Hopfensperger said officers should be focusing on stamping out yobbish behaviour. He said: “The lack of community policing at the moment is a problem.

“It’s a small group intent on causing trouble all the time.

“I was absolutely sickened by what I saw. This lady is a vulnerable person and for them to do that to her . . . I was shocked.

“There are lots of good people around here but there’s a small group causing trouble with anti- social behaviour.”

The victim told Sky News that “some young people” had approached her and after a verbal exchange two of the group had “spat on me once or twice each”.

“They circled about a little and then re-appeared with a bag of flour...and water and eggs.”

“I certainly do consider this to be an assault on my person and my ability to enjoy the green area there.

“It was not a pleasant experience and the limit of what I can publicly tolerate, however, I have no wish to escalate current tensions.”

Police in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, yesterday confirmed they were safeguarding the welfare of the teenage suspects.

Security advice has been given to their families along with a “panic number” to ring.

But local Stuart Blowers, 36, said it was about time police put victims’ needs first. He added: “The police are a joke.

“It is disgusting that they are going to get police protection after what they did to that lady.”

The photo of four teenagers grinning while the woman cowered on a park bench was taken by a fifth boy. She is said to have mental health issues.

The picture triggered a furious response on social media. One video post aimed at the teenagers said: “You deserve to have your heads ripped off your shoulders.”

It was viewed 2.6 million times on Facebook.

The mum of one of the teenagers yesterday grumbled that the furore was threatening to ruin his upcoming 16th birthday party.

She said: “My son’s name has been leaked over the internet and we’ve had threats.

“I reported the abuse to police and we’re under their protection. This isn’t what we need. It’s my son’s 16th birthday and we’ve got family here for his party.”

The stepmum of another teenager said: “As far as I know he just took the photo. I don’t know anything about him throwing the eggs and flour. He’s not a tearaway. He’s just been a stupid boy.”

Five teenagers have been arrested. They cannot be identified because they are under 18.

Their alleged victim yesterday spoke of her ordeal.

She said: “I don’t consider it acceptable but I don’t want to escalate the current tension in the area. I’ve got to be careful with how I deal with things.”

Acting Detective Superintendent Barry Byford said: “We do not support vigilantism in any way, shape or form.

“Social media users should remember that sharing names and images, which may later form part of a criminal investigation, can disrupt or jeopardise the case.”