A DAD killed his nine-year-old son before shooting himself after telling his family what to do "if something happens" on holiday, an inquest heard.

"Obsessed" Dr Vuyo Tame, 47, poisoned son Noah in a hotel room in South Africa on January 8.

The hospital worker then shot himself dead with a black pistol before horrified staff at the Radisson Blu in Johannesburg found their bodies.

An inquest in Maidstone, Kent, heard today how Tame and Noah's mum Vicky Smith had a "tumultuous" relationship - but she had "no concerns" about her son travelling to South Africa.

The dad had given his own mum detailed instructions just before leaving, saying: "If anything happens to me and Noah, please cremate us within three days and scatter our ashes on our father's grave".

Vicky told the hearing: "I can't come to terms with what has happened.

"It still doesn't feel real. There were absolutely no signs he would do something like this.

"I've been trying to work out why Vuyo would do such an awful thing.

"On reflection he seemed to be spoiling him more last year than he did before. He took him on expensive holidays, lavished him with expensive gifts."

The inquest heard Tame had moved in with Vicky in 2008 and she later discovered she was pregnant.

But he became "cold" towards her - referring to their baby as a "fetus" and questioned co-workers who congratulated him.

He later walked out on Vicky while she was 18 months pregnant and only developed a relationship with his son when he started school.

Last Christmas, Tame arranged to take Noah to South Africa to visit family and "everything seemed to be fine".

Vicky said: "I never had any concerns about him looking after Noah.

"He adored him to the point where he was almost obsessed with him. He wanted to know everything that was going on.

"He would question every injury. He was constantly criticising me and my parenting skills.

"I used to have panic attacks because I knew I would be interrogated by him.

"He was so controlling, he made me feel awful. I felt like I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown."

The court heard how officials in South Africa initially reported bruising on Noah's neck - consistent with strangling - but this was not corroborated by post-mortem tests back in Britain.

His cause of death was given as diphenhydramine poisoning. Diphenhydramine is an anti-histamine used in Benadryl and other over the counter drugs.

Maidstone Coroner Ian Wade said: "The only conclusion which emerges from these findings of fact is one of unlawful killing."

Addressing Noah's mum, Vicky Smith, Mr Wade added: "I express my deep condolences.

"I hope that enough time has passed for you at least to find some kind of stability, but I can't conclude how you will ever, ever recover from this, and nor should you be expected to.

"However you have shown enormous grace and fortitude for which you are entitled to huge respect."